The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 37 made on Sunday December 27, 2009 at 11:25
kmlingenfelter
Long Time Member
December 2008
I’m amused this problem keeps going, with URC’s stupid marketing policies still missing the point.
I too am a qualified programmer and, I bought my MX 980 about a year ago. I must say I got virulent responses from professional MX 980 programmers when I said I’m perfectly qualified to program the device but was upset with URC’s treatment of customers such as me.
On the matter of dealers doing the wrong thing by selling the unit to people who don’t understand the complexity, and the comment that this is the dealers fault for being incompetent, I respectfully disagree. There are five dealers in my greater metropolitan area, who are “authorized URC dealers”. I need a second unit and have been checking with them. None of them know about the URC’s policy that they must supply the software to the customer and are responsible for verifying that they can program the unit. Not one, not even the dealer from whom I purchased my original unit. When I purchased the original unit this dealer didn’t know about the policy and I had to inform them of it. Since I’m a good customer and they know about my technical skills they gave me the software. Even they have forgotten. If URC’s policy were rational and focused on a “smart” end goal they would train the dealers to manage the situation without pissing off customers. They don’t seem to be competent to do this.
If URC were actually responsive to customer needs they would alter their policy. Charging for technical support for non-authorized programmers, and/or noting this in large print on the unit’s box would do the trick. The fact is they want it both ways. You can buy the unit from web suppliers for reduced prices so if their marketing plan is to keep programming exclusive authorized programmers they would not allow sales through discount web dealers (authorized URC dealers). Don’t tell about gray marketing, these sources are authorized and offer full warranties. The fact is they want both customers but provide a solution to customers like me that does not develop loyalty to their brand.
On the matter of paying for technical support I would, of course, never do it because I know about this great site. I was an original Pronto owner way back when, and my early difficulties were resolve quickly by posters on this site. The MX 980 program came up no muss or fuss. I finally switched from the Pronto as my wife hates the LCD touch screen (she likes the MX 980).
Finally three points:
1.Paying someone to program the unit is not ever in the cards for me as tinkering with my Home Theaters and the MX 980 programming is my hobby, it’s the whole point.
2.When the MX-980 becomes a less than stellar solution (due to competition) I’ll not purchase anything more from them. They have not engendered any customer loyalty with me, and I’m a universal remote aficionado and early adopter. A good marketer I would think would want some loyalty from customers such as me.
3.The developers (engineers and designers) of the MX - 980 deserve kudos, it remains one of the best designed units on the market (marketing faux pas aside).
Keith

Hosting Services by ipHouse