The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 25 made on Thursday December 17, 2009 at 10:46
BobL
Founding Member
March 2002
Being an installer I might have a biased view as well but here is my experience with giving the software to clients. Some background, I come from a programming background back in the days we used to write in machine/ assembly language, then RPG, fortran, cobol and C. So programming these remotes by comparison is very simple for me.

I've had a few customers ask me for the software and tell me they are software engineers, system designers, etc, blah, blah, blah. I'd think to myself that these guys should be more than competent to program their own remote and in some ways they were. So I sold them the remote and supplied the software.

In EVERY case I've had to spend AT LEAST 2 hours on the phone with them answering questions on some aspect of programming or user interface. I might only spend 15 or 20 minutes at a time but they call multiple times, some email me their remote files to look at and help with a problem. Often many of their problems could be solved if they RTFM ot they just aren't as experieced as they claim to be.

I've never charged them for my time as I feel when someone buys something from you they deserve a certain amount of support But with remotes that time can easily be excessive trying to walk them through a problem. I learned my lesson. If I don't know the inidividuals capabilities I don't give them the software.

This has been a sticking point with a few enthusiasts that want to do their own remote. In those instances I recommend one of the internet companies that provide the software and make it clear that if they have questions that is who you call.

I'm sure this is the reason that URC made it a dealer option as they don't want add the support staff necessary to deal the the general public.

Bob

Hosting Services by ipHouse