The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 9 made on Tuesday December 15, 2009 at 09:35
cbond
Long Time Member
December 2006
On December 14, 2009 at 22:49, The_Steve_Man said...
Let's say I am a consumer, like yourself and URC lets all consumers have the software. I start to program the remote, but I just can't wrap my head around it. So I call URC tech support for help. Lets say they spend an hour with me on the phone.

Now, 20 other people call in because they have issues. If they call the same time that I am on the phone, they would need 20 techs or somebody is going to be hold.

I don't believe URC wants to hire people just to walk people through basic macro or ir routing to thousands of people.

That's one scenario. Another would be to charge for tech support, like many companies do (HP, Microsoft, etc.) Another still would be to refer technical support calls to local professional installers, so they could sell their services to someone who actually needs them. URCs policy of restricting access to updates is a narrow and sometimes self-defeating attempt to appease CIs. While they certainly have the right to set their own policies, it's unfortunate that they don't look more closely at the unintended consequences. One side effect is that when an update fixes bugs, there would be a REDUCTION in tech support calls if all consumers could access it.
I love the sound of bagpipes when I'm mourning.

Hosting Services by ipHouse