Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 1 made on Saturday December 12, 2009 at 21:54
Takeshi2
Lurking Member
February 2009
Hi all,

I'm not sure if it is old news, but I have found a way to turn on the PS3 via the Wireless network. It doesn't work as it should, but it's maybe a first step.

Since the PS3 can be turned on via Wake up on Lan using a PSP, I thought it would be possible to use the same technique to turn it on using my TSU9600 WIFI.

I first tried to turn the PS3 on in Windows using wolcmd, a popular wake up on lan tool for Windows.

wolcmd 0019D5be0Gf0 192.168.1.255 255.255.255.0 9293

So you have to send the MAC address of the PS3, the (broadcast) IP address, subnetmask and the port number where it listens on (9293)

I did some research and discovered that an WOL package consits out of FF FF FF FF FF FF followed bij 16 times the target MAC address.

Since the PS3 has no IP when it is turned off, you will need to send this package to the broadcast address of your local network. For most home networks, this means using 255 as the last digit.

I tried to achieve the same with prontoscript, and I ended up with this activity script:

//PS3 network boot script - 13/12/09 - Tom De Backer

var ipadd = "192.168.1.255";
var macadd = "00 17 55 BE 00 F0";

var mpacket = "FF FF FF FF FF FF";
var debugp = widget("PANEL1","HOME");
var socket = new TCPSocket();   

reInitSocket();

function reInitSocket()
{
  socket.close();
  socket = new TCPSocket();

socket.onConnect =  function() {

for ( var x=1; x<=16; x++)
     {
      mpacket = mpacket + " " + macadd;
     }
   for ( var y=1; y<=40; y++)
     {
      socket.write(mpacket);
     }
    socket.close();

};
 socket.onIOError =  function() {
     socket.close();
 };

}

function TurnOnPS3 () {

reInitSocket();
  socket.connect(ipadd, 9293,5000);

}

You can use this script e.g. with a button and call the TurnOnPS3 () function using the ProntoScript.

Don't forget to replace the parts in bold with the MAC and IP address of your PS3.

Also, please make sure that Remote Play is turned on and configured in the settings menu of the PS3 (and auto-login is enabled). You will then notice that the WIFI and network leds of the PS3 will remain on even when the PS3 is turned off.

Please note that this method is still far from perfect. Sometimes I experience about 10-30 seconds delay before the PS3 turns on. Also, you will boot into a different screen, so you will need to program the PS button and the Circle as well to get to the main menu.

Another possible problem is that some access points or routers won't do the broadcast correctly. I have tested it with a Linksys WRT54G (DD-WRT custom firmware) with my PS3 connected to it with wire and my Pronto connected wirelessly to the router.

Because the broadcast doesn't always work, I send the WOL package 40 times. You can always alter it.

So the biggest 2 problems are that it's not yet reliable and there might be delays before the PS3 turns on.

Anyway, I hope this script will help some people here and possibly it gives someone else an idea how to improve it.

Hosting Services by ipHouse