The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 36 made on Friday December 11, 2009 at 02:21
Daniel Tonks
Wrangler of Remotes
October 1998
That computer I talked about on October 14th is at it again. Went to see how something looked on it, noticed that the little popup said that updates were waiting. I said to install them. A while later I looked at download progress was stalled at 0%. Looking deeper, I realized that ALL updates since November 12th have failed to install - the log is loaded with failure entries.

To make a long story short, I went through numerous troubleshooting procedures over a period of 6 hours and absolutely nothing will work. Stranger yet, now when you shut down it tries to install 2 updates. And tries. And tries. Hours of hard drive activity and the little circle spinning. Manually resetting the system causes it to go through a "configuring updates" procedure for about 10 minutes as it boots up, then it actually will work, but shutting down or restarting starts the whole process over again.

I've given up. The system is over 4 years old - it was very nice 4 years ago - but at this point I'm guessing that it needs AT MINIMUM a complete O/S reinstall, and I don't see it worth the time. Life is too short for the hours that thing has occupied of my time.

So, time for something new.

Hosting Services by ipHouse