The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 15 made on Wednesday December 9, 2009 at 10:36
wogster
Long Time Member
November 2009
On December 9, 2009 at 03:01, Bruce H.Campbell said...
Microfloppies still have their uses, as i reported elsewhere, I used XXCLONE in order to have a backup boot drive, plus a
Quick boot diskette, when I discovered that the workstation's 1.44 floppy drive wasn't working.
I've come across too many ppl who panic when their optical drives fail at the same time the HDDs do and they never entertained the idea of making QBDs.

Many systems now can boot from a USB device as well, so a QBD can be created on a USB drive.   Naw floppies are still dead.  I remember some of the early systems, seeing an IBM 4341 that had an 8 inch floppy drive.  Then playing with micro-computers including a Northstar Horizon that had a hard sectored 5 1.4" floppy, then the 3.5" even had a zip drive in one computer.....  If the optical and hard drives both quit at the same time, I think I would toss the whole computer out the window into the snow. 

In this particular case though, a PVR, you probably wouldn't bother with a floppy drive, a bootable CD/DVD drive is probably sufficuent, bigger question would be DVD or BluRay?  2 years ago, when I built the computer I am typing this on, BR was too expensive, I don't know if that is still the case or not.

Hosting Services by ipHouse