The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 12 made on Sunday December 6, 2009 at 21:59
wogster
Long Time Member
November 2009
On December 6, 2009 at 19:09, Daniel Tonks said...
VGA is already all but dead... everything is DVI or HDMI these days. Or Displayport if you want the one after that...

Yes, actually VGA was replaced by SVGA 20 years ago, but it used the same cable pin out.  The usual reason for replacing things in computers is that they need a reason to sell more stuff.  After all if you replace your computer and don't need to replace your year old monitor and six month old printer at the same time, then the world will end.  Nobody seems to tell this to mobo makers though, which is why most motherboards still have a floppy drive port on them, even though floppy drives have been obsolete for 2 decades already.   It's been 10 years since I had a computer with a floppy drive in it.  Funny thing is, there are still some floppy discs here, I think.    

HDMI may be the last big thing, but there are still a lot of computer boards that don't have it, and most monitors have both HDMI or DVI and VGA ports on them. 

The new TV here has both a VGA and HDMI port (2 IIRC), a set of old fashioned Red/White/Yellow jacks, a couple of sets of composite video jacks.  You would think that over time the older ports would get removed, but that doesn't seem to be the case.   Then again I have a working Circa 1995 VCR which has a splitter so that the mono sound gets divided between the  2 channels, because it's mono only, so it's good that the old ports are still there, because the RF on it doesn't work anymore......

Last edited by wogster on December 7, 2009 18:45.

Hosting Services by ipHouse