The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 9 made on Thursday November 26, 2009 at 19:02
wogster
Long Time Member
November 2009
On November 26, 2009 at 18:13, hd fan said...
No it should not be ok unless the OP reorient the dipoles.

the "board" or in this case the reflector is not the problem , the problem is the orientation of the dipole and the director elements. I am assuming the reflector is not a 1 or few elements thing but rather a big surface. In your case there are no director elements therefore the orientation of the bow ties or dipoles determines the polarization of the antenna , either horizontal or vertical . All commercial TV station use Horizontal polarization therefore the dipole element or elements should be horizontal or paralell to the earth plane , obviously an antenna is designed so the directors have the same orientation of the dipole system.

For the amount of US Programming that the canadian stations carry and living in bathurst and sheppard I would not ven worry about the major US networks from buffalo. Get an indoor Non Amplified VHF/UHF antenna and try with that one , from a second floor in St Clair/Oakwood a 5 cad version works like a charm althought you have to rotate it manually for CityTV but who cares!. It is your TV and this is a free country so you do not have to follow my advice , lol.

Well, the reason we ask questions and seek advice in forums such as this, is that we have the advantage of vast pools of knowledge from different areas. 

So the debate becomes do you build an antenna slightly smaller, maybe instead of 10" wires, go with 8 1/2" and maybe use 8" spacing making the whole unit about 30" high instead of 39" high, which will not fit the space. 

Or orient it the other way so that it fits the space.

Or build effectively a 2 x 2 bay antenna side by side and add and extra wire to connect the 2 together effectively making one antenna. 

Or make a deal with the landlord and put it in a weather proof box on the garage roof.

Hosting Services by ipHouse