The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 5 made on Wednesday November 25, 2009 at 19:55
BillFromGI
Long Time Member
March 2009
On November 24, 2009 at 21:35, wogster said...

I am wondering though, what guage wire would be best, I used 14 guage for the first attempt, because I had it.  I need to buy some, so wondering what guage works best for this?

I used 14 gauge "hanging basket" wire that was purchased from the local hardware store for the latest "creation". A 50 foot spool was $5. East to work with, easy to bend, and it is cheaper than romex.

Make the bowties 10 inches and the feed wires between the bowties 9 inches. Be sure to cross the feeds between the top set and second set as well as the bottom & third set. Use a 2 by 4 piece of wood that about 1 meter long to attach/screw the wire to (use skinny side). Attach the balun between the 2nd and 3rd bowties (right in the middle). Lastly, find a cardboard box, cut a 1 meter by 1/3 meter piece, glue aluminum foil on it (glue stick works great for this), and tack it to the back of the antenna. Point it out a south-facing (Toronto location) or north-facing (WNY location) window and volia!

Once I figure out how to upload photos here I'll put up some pics of the antennas that were made and work really well.

Hosting Services by ipHouse