The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 1 made on Sunday November 22, 2009 at 11:33
wogster
Long Time Member
November 2009
We recently got a new LCD TV when our old CRT TV died.

The old TV got a bunch of stations, analog, sometimes snowy.

I made a 4 bay antenna from instructions off the internet, using aluminum wire, stuck it in a window.
I live in a basement, and can not mount an antenna outside.
The Toronto stations come in quite well, even Hamilton comes in a little.
Buffalo, nothing, nada, not even the more powerful Buffalo stations. 

I wonder if adding a reflector to the antenna will help, if so, how far back does it need to be from the antenna itself?   I'm still working on the antenna, and will try a couple of other things.  One thing of note, the lower channels do not come in well, like 18-24 or so, 20 does, but it's so powerful.  Where I am located Buffalo is almost directly behind the CN tower, so the antenna is aimed there.  I am going to take the antenna apart and try sanding the connection points, maybe there is a little corrosion or a sealer in there that I need to remove.  I think if I spend more then another couple of hours on it, the wife will get mad though.

Any other ideas.  I am near Bathurst and Sheppard, one of the higher points in the city. 

Updated  below here

I rebuilt the antenna, sanded all the connections, made a couple of other changes, and no change, Starting to wonder if I should change the balun, I have another one, maybe the one I used is bad, don't remember, maybe that's why I have two.....   Still wondering about the reflector though, and whether I should go begging to my landlord to let me put the antenna up higher outside... How do you weather protect these things????

Last edited by wogster on November 22, 2009 18:42.

Hosting Services by ipHouse