The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 6 made on Friday November 20, 2009 at 14:42
snmhanson
Long Time Member
September 2004
Thanks again for the help! The more I play with and program the remote the more I am liking it. I just set up some macros to power up and tune in the system/sources as well as an all-off maco and I have to say it is really adding to my set-up. My wife is going to love it once I get everything in place and show her how it works.

Now for my next question. I am going to try to integrate my NevoConnect into the system this weekend so I don't have to point the remote at the components for the 10 or so seconds it takes to fire everything up. I was planning on simply using stick on IR emitters, however, some of my components have RS232 functionality. If I choose to use RS232 is it as simple as getting a RS232 cable and plugging it or is there some additional programming that I will need to do (either within the component or within the Nevo system)? Also, where can I get the RS232 cables? I know I can order them from my dealer but can I also just pick them up at Radio Shack or another electronics store? Looking at the setup on StudioPro it appears that the NevoConnect automatically detects whether the cable hooked up to a port is IR or RS232 by itself, right? Also, are there any IR cables that have 3.5mm ports on each end? At least one of the components I am considering for my system has a 3.5mm IR in port but not a RS232 port. It would be nice to use that 3.5 port versus a stick-on emitter. Any info or advice would be very appreciated.

EDIT: So I researched RS232 a bit more and now understand that there are unique codes that need to be used as well as different pinouts for different components. Now that I know that, I guess I just need to know where to enter the RS232 codes in StudioPro. Do they just go where I would typically enter the IR Hex codes for a command? Also, I still am not clear as to whether NevoConnect will detect whether an IR or RS232 device is connected - or if it actually matters. I also noticed a post just after this one asking a similar question about 3.5mm to 3.5mm IR control so I can keep an eye on that one if no one wants to answer that question here.

Thanks,

Matt

Last edited by snmhanson on November 20, 2009 15:17.

Hosting Services by ipHouse