The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 174 made on Wednesday October 28, 2009 at 16:35
Darnitol
Universal Remote Control Inc.
June 1999
On October 28, 2009 at 16:04, BigAudio said...
So, I gather that it is zipped together to prevent us from modifying the files.

Just so you know: the VFD files are not there to prevent you from modifying things. In fact, we're more than happy to have you modify the available graphics. The change was made in CCP because of the huge number of graphics files in that program. Every time a drive has to write a file, it has to write the header, then go write the file. When you're dealing with one file, it takes a fraction of a second. When it's thousands of tiny graphics files, the process can be very time consuming. And on slower drives (such as exist on many laptops), that huge collection of many files makes opening th graphics library agonizingly slow.

So there you have it: the engineers did it for your benefit. Since over 90% of people don't ever modify these files, the extra difficulty in adding graphics to the folders was considered worth it. It SHOULD be possible to open a VFD file, modify it, then recreate the file, but I haven't tried to do it myself.

Best regards,
Dale
I'm a member of the Remote Central community, just like you! My comments here are my own, and in no way express the opinions, policies, or plans of Universal Remote Control, Inc.

Hosting Services by ipHouse