Up level
The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 68 made on Thursday November 16, 2000 at 13:35
Aaron
Historic Forum Post
I noticed how fuzzy the display on my remote was ever since I've used it. I decided to try an experiment: replacing the screen I have with one available from Samsung. The difference was remarkable! Enough of a difference for me to order a spare screen for my own "warranty" repair. The Samsung screen is much sharper: particularly with the backlight. Here is a bonus: the screen exhibits no contrast drift.

The Samsung part number for the screen that was used for some of the early Pronto's was UG-24U01-WGHT3-C. The currently available part number for a new screen is UG-24U01-WGHT3-G. This screen (UG-24U01-WGHT3-G) will fit in the Pronto with a 5x5mm cutout in the battery compartment for the new location of L1 (a small inductor) and a 5x5mm cutout on the plastic screen support bezel for another surface mount component. A single edge razor can be used to make the cutouts. No soldering is required, just the cutouts.

If you want to replace the screen yourself keep in mind that any modification you make to your remote will void your warranty; however, a $150 warranty screen replacement is more than the $80 (including shipping) I paid for a replacement.

You should be able to order this screen through a Samsung distributor near you. Some distributors have a minimum order requirement.

Please don't contact me for a replacement screen.

UG-24U01-WGHT3-"B" screen information can be found here:
[Link: sdiamerica.com]

(I think the B, C, and G screens are similar.)

Hosting Services by ipHouse