The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 58 made on Monday July 24, 2000 at 21:24
Matt Hanna
Historic Forum Post
Hello Everyone!

Well, after reading through the original post and all subsequent replies, I will give my absolute opinion on the Pronto LCD issue. I have worked for Sound Advice in Sarasota, FL for almost 5 years as a custom audio/video salesman, and have sold the pronto since its 1st release..
I have also personally programmed at least 20+ of these remotes with my laptop computer over the last year or so.
The original pronto that I owned and all the older prontos that had the light sensor had a very crisp lcd & great contrast. I had to a least 4 times program my own personal pronto to be used for a customers system & replace my with a new one when I could get my hands on another because of the shortages I had at our company.
I was so disgusted to see that when we started to see a nice replenishment of these remotes that the LCD's had such poor contrast & images were "fuzzy". I actually defective exchanged & sent bad quite a few remote before I realized that all the newest remotes looked like this. I have had a few customers bring this same issue up with me because they compare their remote to a friends older remote and I have to tell them they are right but I can't get them a good LCD model.
Heck I can't even find a good LCD model for myself & am very bummed that I ever did any favors by giving up my old pronto for a customer (selfish as that may be.. haha).
I had 2 specific customer's who actually had their pronto break.. 1 had a cracked screen.. 1 just went totally dead(not a battery or reset issue). Both these customers were very unhappy when I downloaded their CCF's into new pronto's for replacement remotes. Sorry, but again I explained their was nothing I could do...
I am optimistic that Phillips will see the error in their ways, especially since there are now some new players in the LCD touch screen biz and actually go back to the old higher standards that made the foundation of the Pronto so great..

Hope my testimonial helps to at least give those who know their is a difference in "current" and "older" prontos some extra foundation to base their opinions on.

Matt

Hosting Services by ipHouse