The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 25 made on Friday June 23, 2000 at 07:05
Jonathan Stark
Historic Forum Post
Observations on the Poor Contrast of the Pronto Display

I have been designing buttons of different colours (greyscales) to improve the user experience of my Pronto. By using dithering I came up with seven greyscales (white, white/light grey, light grey, light grey/dark grey, dark grey, dark grey/black and black). I found, however, that although they look great in ProntoEmulator, the "colours" were very similar to each other on the Pronto.

Adjusting the contrast so that the lighter buttons are distinguishable from each other means that the darker buttons all turn solid black. Adjusting the contrast the other way has the opposite effect. I cannot find a happy medium. It was then I looked more closely at the LCD display and noticed how fuzzy and dim it seemed and that getting the four base "colours" to look different requires pinpoint adjustment of the contrast.

Comparing screen quality of the Pronto with the screen on my Palm V (which was cheaper than the Pronto), showed that the Palm screen was much better. I wondered whether there was a fault with my Pronto, but after having read this thread (on the excellent RemoteCentral website) I am disappointed to find that this seems to be a wider problem.

Although generally pleased with my European "silver" Pronto, the poor quality of the LCD display is most disappointing. Is there any merit in lobbying Philips for an LCD upgrade?

Hosting Services by ipHouse