The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 1 made on Friday September 11, 2009 at 16:58
gobridge
Lurking Member
September 2009
First, thanks to all who have posted here. I have learned so much from you.

I am a do-it-yourselfer and stumbled onto URC as a solution to my set-up issues. I am finishing my basement and will have a central A/V closet. Connected to it will be a) basement home theater TV & 5.1 surround, b) basement playroom TV and ceiling speakers, c) familyroom TV & 5.1 surround, and d) kitchen tv and ceiling speakers.

I have a 4x4 matrix hdmi splitter with digital optical outputs. Connected to the outputs on the matrix are the 4 tvs, plus each room will have its own Denon receiver fed by the optical digital out from the matrix. For inputs, I will have 2 scientifc atlantic 8300HD dvr/cable boxes, DVD player (will switch to a blue-ray if budget allows), and an apple tv.

This set-up led me to two problems in terms of remote controls:
1) Because you can watch anything in any room, how do the macros on the remotes in the other rooms know if a component is on or off.
2) I have multiples of the same component (2 cable boxes & 4 Denon receivers), so I needed a solution that had addressable IR outputs.

I originally settled on the Harmony 890Pro, but then that was discontinued. So, I decided to go with 4 Mx-880 remotes and a MSC-400. By the way, I really wanted the MX-980s, but my project has gone a bit over budget and my wife is looking over my shoulder. I'm not liking that I can't customize the images and that I don't get a charging cradle.

I just started programming the remotes. The basement won't be finished for another 2 weeks, but I wanted to get a head start. I just wanted to ask you professionals out there, does anything jump out at you as potential problems in setting up my remotes?

Hosting Services by ipHouse