Up level
The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 13 made on Wednesday September 2, 2009 at 09:42
vbova27
July 2006
To me this makes no sense. The fact of convenience will not change a thing. Nevo is a custom installation product - you can do a hell of a lot more with a Nevo remote than you can with a Harmony. And the fact of convenience means nothing. That's like saying - why would anybody wait on a 15 month waiting list for a new ferrari when they can just swing in to the local Porsche dealer and pick one of those up? It's about market. Nevo and other companies make custom products for people looking for a certain type of experience. Harmony remotes are for people who all want the same experience. There is not an ounce of creativity, thinking or customizing when programming a Harmony remote. I would never survive selling Harmony with the types of things my customers ask for. Whether it's his or hers buttons, serial control, press and hold to do this, etc - no way with Harmony, no how. Harmony remotes are like that cute little economy car that you buy - you think it's cool, until you notice everyone else has one. It's affordable, and you had your eye on the higher model but feel like you got a great deal. Then you notice after awhile it's not fun to drive and it can't do what you need it to. Pretty soon you sell it or junk it and get a real car.

On August 7, 2009 at 17:05, brodyboy said...
I'd have to respectfully disagree with that last part. Well-received by whom?  The Harmony market?  I don't see it.

A huge....HUGE....draw for the Harmony remotes is that anybody can swing by Best Buy and pick one up today.  Or a click on Amazon gets one to your house within a couple days.  Logitech offers top-notch Harmony customer support and responsiveness, and beyond that, there's a vast online community of Harmony users that communicate and help each other with the programming, which is already designed with the actual user/owner in mind.  This ease of purchase and use, and the terrific support at every level for the owner, defines the Harmony model. 

Absolutely NONE of that applies to Nevo.  Why would anybody pay a custom-installer buco bucks for equipment and programming to end up with something that looks and feels and works a lot like their neighbor's Harmony? 

Unless Nevo markets and supports this product line the way that Logitech markets and supports the Harmony line, which is pretty unlikely, I think they would err trying to pitch these models as Harmony alternatives.

Last edited by vbova27 on September 2, 2009 21:08.

Hosting Services by ipHouse