The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 8 made on Friday August 21, 2009 at 15:55
HDTV Junkee
Lurking Member
August 2009
I think that there are lot's of things that you can try. Unfortunately, I will be out of commish for a few days, so I will quickly run through it. Others may have some suggestions, as well.

--------------

Is the balun new -- re-buy two types at dollar store, if necessary?
Is the cable cracked? $15 to $18 at satellite store. Do not buy the cheap dollar store stuff 100 ft for $8.00.

1. I assume that you have an HDTV. If yes, then the scan for channels is run through the TV. Make sure the input is set to Antenna and not cable. We have 2 HD tv's -- one has a cable box through Video 1, and the antenna through the back. The other TV has basic cable only and the antenna -- which means you need a switch (from the dollar store cable / antenna) and 3 feet of separate RG cables that go into the switch -- move toggle back and forth. But every time you move from one to the other you must move the internal switch in TV set-up options. Buy the switch and then think about it logically.

2. If you have a converter box -- then the channel scan is run through that.

Either 1 or 2 above -- you can take a separate 6 foot piece of RG6 cable -- attach it to your tv or box antenna slot and then scan for channels. Cut one of the ends of the 6 ft piece and put it up close to the ceiling or on a curtain rod -- just to get the height.

You should scan in at least 5.1 and 11.1 -- maybe 36.1 or 9.1 will come through -- that's about it for ground level, here locally.

Other than that -- you can take an old intendo TV antenna gizmo -- hook up to the antenna slot and scan (results should be the same).

OR attach a piece of 4 inch telephone wire to a balun (the one with the two screws (one at each end) -- shave off the protective shields, twist. Then attach directly to the tv antenna slot and scan. This is meant for analog, but digital signals scan in as well.

OR if you have a satellite dish -- then just to make a test -- take off the universal LNB and let the wire hang in the air. Dettach from sat. rec'r and then attach to antenna slot. You may have to point the dish down slightly as signals bounce from the ground (some reflection off of the dish will occur).

Many more things that you can try. If TV or conv. box is good, then scanning is the easy part. Our tv scans in the analog channels first, then the digital -- but everyone's set-up is different.

Should be a nice weekend for you to get it all going. Take a compass and rotate your antenna to see what you get and where.

Over and Out.

Hosting Services by ipHouse