Up level
The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 5 made on Friday August 21, 2009 at 00:27
smokinghot
August 2006
On August 20, 2009 at 13:08, crosen said...
TECHNICALLY SPEAKING

Before going further, two notes of clarification:

1. Technically speaking, RS-232 is a standard for serial data communication that has numerous implementations. In the context of AV and home automation, it generally refers to a specific implementation (RS-232C) that uses a 9 pin connector.

THE SPECIFICS

In order to control a device using RS-232, several things are required:

1. Both the device and the controller must have a RS-232 port
2. The two RS-232 ports must be connected using a proper cable

Maybe I'm being overly critical, but I think the bolded sections are misleading, in the case of the first two, and the last is weakly worded. Which could fortify the misconception of the first two.

Using your example of the MSC-400 I can easily site, that RS-232 does not always necessarily use the DB-9 connector. In fact the MSC only utilizes three pins Tx, Rx, common, and is terminated by the use of a stereo 3.5mm jack. Obviously, you can't list every possible connection/configuration, but stating that RS-232 control uses a DB-9 and then going on to say that both devices "must have a RS-232 port" can confuse those in need of a primer.

To go a little further...: Although your second point about the "proper cable" has nothing to do with the DB-9 connection. It certainly reads like it does. Maybe you could slightly reword and expand so it reads more like.

2. The device and controller must be connected using the appropriate cable configuration. Which will be either "normal" or "null modem".

...and then possibly attach wikipedia links to "normal" and "null modem", so you don't have to go through the effort of explaining the differences and pin-out. ...and why not link to the DB-9 while you have the wiki open.

Just some suggestions, but otherwise good work. I'm sure many will appreciate your efforts.
....Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Hosting Services by ipHouse