The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 47 made on Wednesday May 16, 2007 at 15:52
wsitch
Lurking Member
May 2007
Good question, OTAHD. I don't necessarily want a DVD player with HDMI, but I do want to deliver HD content collected via an ATSC tuner to the TV in 720p or 1080i.

Panasonic has a similar model, the DMR-EZ17K, that sells for $50 less than the EZ27K. The 17 doesn't have an HDMI port, and only outputs 480i and 480p through the component outputs. At least, that's what their documentation seems to indicate.

That means HD content tuned with the built-in ATSC tuner would be downconverted to 480p before being delivered to the TV. Hey, if I can get free 720p content for $50 more, I'm going to go for it!

So yeah, after more reading about HDMI/component comparisons, I still believe the DMR-EZ27K is the way to go. If the EZ27K built-in upconverting reduces the PQ of a DVD, I could connect the component outputs from the DMR-EZ27K to the HDTV and deliver DVD in native 480i/p.

Ugh, I dunno if all of this is worth it, especially since I now have to find a HDMI cable, but I really want to take advantage of the free HD content and HD-ready status of my TV.

Hosting Services by ipHouse