The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 15 made on Tuesday July 28, 2009 at 10:02
Darnitol
Universal Remote Control Inc.
June 1999
I dunno guys. I would suggest that if your programming requires the end user to fully understand the system to be able to use it, then your programming isn't adding much value to the system. The point of good user interface is to make complex systems usable by average people with little or no training. If a universal remote only puts all the nuts and bolts into a single remote but still expects the user to understand all those nuts and bolts, most clients aren't going to be any happier than when they had a pile of remotes on the coffee table.

Many, many software engineers proclaim Linux to be technically superior to Windows, but since most of the power of Linux is hidden behind functions that you have to "fully understand the system" to take advantage of, Windows thrives on the desktop. Most people don't want the maximum possible functionality: they want the functionality they've got to be easily accessible.

Yes, there's a small place in the market for power-user programming that exposes all functions in a single UI, but there are a lot more people merely seeking a way to enjoy their home theaters without requiring training. They are sometimes the spouses, parents, children, and babysitters of power users, but they're using the same system as the power user (if, as I noted, there's even a single power user in the house). They shouldn't be expected to understand anything. They want to press a single "Watch DirecTV" button and "automagically" have the system configure itself. They don't need to know what components are now on what settings. They just want to watch American Idol.

Best regards,
Dale
I'm a member of the Remote Central community, just like you! My comments here are my own, and in no way express the opinions, policies, or plans of Universal Remote Control, Inc.

Hosting Services by ipHouse