The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 14 made on Monday June 1, 2009 at 23:58
39 Cent Stamp
Elite Member
May 2007
On June 1, 2009 at 23:21, Joshtam58 said...
Thanks for the response Stamp.

Yea the holes in the top of the closet are something aren't they!
We actually had the electrician on the job run the wires. It was a fairly sizeable remodel with a lot of retrofit. We could have done it, but my boss works with this sparky quite often and they were slow so they got the work.

The house is actually going to be knocked down in 2 years (crazy isn't) and rebuilt, so certain things had corners cut.

Sparky normally pulls our cable for out of town projects so i understand. The bulk cable plates are cheap and they work great for cleaning up the ugly. Customer is probably waiting for the market to pick up or one of his kids to graduate and move out or something like that.

I definitely here you on the labels, unfortunately I can only work with what was provided to me from you know.....
I'd love to use white labels with clear heat shrink, or something like that...any suggestions?

50% of the time i print out the labels on a 8.5X11 sheet and the other 50% of the time i use a ptouch printer. Using the PC printer for labels is faster than using a DYMO or Brady and just as convenient when you need to do a bunch of labels. Problem is that most label makers i have used including the ptouch.. the labels start coming off.

By far.. the easiest & best way to do a large number of labels is to print them out by the sheet at the shop. These panduit labels have some sticker shock at $150 a pack but you get 5000 labels. The cost is less than DYMO cartridges and you definatley save money on labor by using a spread sheet and hitting "print" vs using a DYMO and typing all those labels in by hand.

Oh no... no etape on the front of the cable boxes, just a dab of hot glue. I did pop the faces of the boxes and saw that I could put the emitter there, but I wasn't sure of exact placement or any possible IR overload so i figured the first time I try putting them inside shouldn't be in a rack where It's a little harder to remove the component and play with it. It is definitely on my list of things to try though.

One thing i can say from personal experience is that i rarely have any IR issues with Crestron. I havent ever had to play 'work around' with the emitters. I hotglue them right to the IR receiver and they always work.

Good Idea with the home running all Cresnets to the block, but I had limited supply of cresnet.

I'm not alone! LOL I cant tell you how many times i get to the end of a job and i am a few feet short.

as far as the URC base stations, those are for the two offices local systems. Her office doesn't even have audio or a touch panel so the mx850 makes sense for her. For his office you are right it should be on the Crestron. However My boss of myself Can't program....although he did think that I could after just one week of training.

Yeah.. about that.. :) I have been working with Crestron for a while now and my best attempt is a System Builder project. I don't have the attention span to learn programming.

Im not saying that using URC was a bad choice just that the AV2 can handle all of that gear. The MX-850 will communicate with the Crestron system via an RF gateway. Theres a zip file in the yahoo crestron group files section under "hacks".

Plus the Client just wanted a simple remote for his tv/cable/bluray.

I didn't think of putting the request up high...that makes good sense!

Thanks again for the positive response.

I am not taking any offense to anything...just taking it to the brain for the future! live in learn haha.

A good rule is to put anything the client needs to touch in the same area and have it at a height so they can reach and see the drive tray. Its not a big deal in a rack that size.

I have been stealing IR codes from Remote Central for years and posting now and again under a different user ID. I wish i would have started asking for help back then.

But like i said.. and im not just being nice.. That's really good work. I would guess that your 3rd rack will put most of us to shame. Hopefully your boss keeps your budget tight so i don't feel so bad about being bested by a guy 10 years younger than me :).
Avid Stamp Collector - I really love 39 Cent Stamps

Hosting Services by ipHouse