The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 1 made on Monday June 1, 2009 at 22:21
Joshtam58
Long Time Member
April 2009
Hey Guys. I'm relatively new here, I've just recently joined, but I have been lurking for awhile. I figured it's about time to introduce myself as well as get some comments on my first rack. Whether those comments are good or bad, doesn't really bother me, I'm just looking for some constructive criticism!

If you want to skip my intro that's fine, there are pics at the bottom!

Anyway a little bit about me.

I'm 23 and have been playing with most things mechanical/electrical for pretty much as long as I can remember. I've done lots of different things from wrenching on cars to technical theater to computer repair/networks. Hell I had the tia568a/b color code memorized since I was 13 :). I've also built my own WiFi antennas and have stretched a point to point link 2 miles. (I probably could have gone farther if I had a place to test it)

I've had some interesting jobs in the past, but the most notable are the 2 years I spent with a cable contracting crew where I was a supervisor for the last year I was there. I also did a lot of commercial installs including lots of 8+ line telephony installs. I could go on an on about that crazy job, but I don't want to bore anyone. Lets just say I learned a lot, and really liked the field, but just couldn't take the aggravation anymore. That job however sort of led to where I am now.

I was called one day while out in the field and asked if I could pick up a Commercial reconnect. I wound up doing the job and meeting my current Boss's wife there to get his cable up and running. After talking and leaving my cell phone number with her, one thing led to another and here I am trying to learn all sorts of new things.

I've been to a week of Crestron Training, and that just about blew my mind.
I get how it works and why it works, and I was able to get through the training fairly easily, but when It comes down to it, I don't think I am the programming type. I sure like to work with the stuff though.

Anyway I can talk more about what I have done and I am doing later. Time to get to the goods.

I just finished this rack up, it took me around 4 days along with some other projects at the house mixed in. I could probably do it faster next time, but I enjoyed doing it and am fairly happy with the way it came out.

Top to bottom Equip list is

LG bd370
LG bd370
SA 8300hd
SA 8300hd
Audio Request 4 output music server
Crestron AV2
Crestron PAD8
Crestron AMPX12x60

And there is also a CENIDOC that sits on top

each blu ray and cable box are for 2 offices (his and hers)
the rest is for 5 zones of audio (we prewired for some extras)

Things I would like to have done differently (some of these things were beyond my control though)

I would have like to been able to use lacing bars
I would have liked to have a bit bigger rack for better thermal management (We are going to add fans to the closet)
I would have like to have some different length interconnects so I could have laced them better from the PAD8 to the amp
I would love to do custom length power cords and interconnects
I think the last thing (and I can probably still change this) is to put a blank between the AV2 and the request server. There is a blank below the amp that doesn't really need to be there because there is a good amount of space in the bottom of the rack anyway. I should be able to shift everything down and then install the blank between the two.

Anyway on to the pics!

and some more here.....

Also there is a TPS4000l in the living room and a TPS4000 in his office. Now we are just waiting on the program.

I could probably write a bit more but I don't want to bore anyone....sorry for the long post. I'm looking forward to your comments!

Hosting Services by ipHouse