Post 5 made on Monday June 1, 2009 at 07:42
Lexje
Lurking Member
May 2009
Hi 2nd Rick,

Thanks for your reply;
Here's some more information of what I'm trying (wanting) to achieve:

I'm working with LinuxMCE.
LMCE is capable to set up an audio / video network througout your whole house.
For this it uses a core server and one or several media directors. You should think of a media director as being a possible 'lightweight' small form factor PC with sufficient capabilities to run 'your' required video / audio - if you want HD 1080p, then the system has to be capable to deliver - if you want 7.1 audio your media director has to be capable to transmit 7.1...
You can also use a 'single' core/hybrid.
It really is a very interesting system if you're into it :-)

LMCE is capable of routing 'commands' to the various media directors, so you would e.g be able to control a media director playing in the main bedroom from say, the livingroom.
It can also 'translate' various commands, like Pronto codes e.g. to rs232 and transport these over your TCP/IP network to the rs232 port of a connected media director, to which e.g a receiver or LCD-TV's rs232 port is connected.
Main advantage of these 'direct' connections is of course 2-way communication.

As a second instance LMCE can also route these commands using e.g. USB IR-blasters. As I noticed that quite some IR-blasters have mini-jack outputs to connect to stick-up IR attachments, this is where I got the idea of maybe directly connecting to IR input/output on various equipment.

As my elder TX-DS939 alas does not have a rs232 port I am mainly interested to find out:
a) can these input/output (cfr photo) be used in this perspective?
b) if yes, will I have (even if limited) 2-way communication?
c) if yes, it will not be necessary to 'stick' an (ugly) IR-blaster on the front side

What would I like to control?
Most all options on the receiver:
- volume up/down
- select source
- select / control zones
- tune radio station
etc.
My thinking is that once I would succeed in setting up direct connection over the IR ports, most all applicable Pronto codes would be useable.

In the manual there is mention of:
- remote sensor HR-10
- remote emitter HE-50
- Xantech multi-room system (us and canadian only - so I'm not sure about mine...)

As far as I understand this is intended to connect 'remote' (in another room / second zone) IR emitter and receiver in order to be able to use a IR remote control in the 'other' room.

The RI (the black ones on the photo) connectors are intended to interconnect 'compatible' equipment. These seem to 'pass through' commands like play, ffwd etc.

The MR connectors are intended to connect the emitter / receiver.

Hope this helps, and you can point me in the right direction?

Thanks very much,

Erwin

Hosting Services by ipHouse