The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 10 made on Saturday May 30, 2009 at 00:11
Ernie Bornn-Gilman
Yes, That Ernie!
December 2001
On May 29, 2009 at 22:52, Gizmologist09 said...
I would hesitate to rely on the cap/relay circuit for long.

I built a similar circuit in the early seventies with capacitors about the same quality as in the illustration. That circuit took a pulse and divided by two. It worked twenty years later when I last saw it.

The current draw on the cap by the current inrush of the relay

Do some math. It's twelve volts and 260 ohms. That means the "inrush" will be a giant 46 mA. Capacitors can easily see that much ripple current 120 times a second when filtering an amp of rectified AC current.
will break down the cap and as the cap degrades, the current / voltage supplied to the coil will eventually cause the relay to chatter as the supply voltage decays.

I don't think so.

Depending on the input pulse time required by the amp, the chattering may actually toggle the amp on and off rapidly.

He said it needs more than 100 msec, so it won't flutter.

On May 29, 2009 at 05:40, zzzzdoc said...
In the first relay position is in its native (NC) position, the electrolytic capacitor is discharged...

No need to quote the whole thing. The circuit is a bit of genius. And when it comes to constructing something like this, it's easier than a 555 timer and can be done much more rapidly...which for us means less expensively.
A good answer is easier with a clear question giving the make and model of everything.
"The biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place." -- G. “Bernie” Shaw

Hosting Services by ipHouse