The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 4 made on Tuesday May 26, 2009 at 02:21
ntwk2001
Lurking Member
May 2009
Well, my remote has been in the cabinet on the charger for years without being used and I found out the battery was no longer any good. After browsing the forums and seeing that there is not many sources for batteries I dismantled my battery in hopes I could repair it. I found out there are 4 separate 3.6v cells, 2 of them wired in series then each set of 2 wired in parallel to increase life of the charges. I noticed the cells appear to be the same size as those cheap rechargeable phone batteries so I went to Fry's electronics and picked up 4 batteries that were 3.6v each (basically 3 aaa batteries). I used my meter to determine polarity on the panasonic cells from my ipronto and found out 2 of the 4 cells were no working at all while 2 of them were putting out voltage. I carefully unsoldered the cells, noting the polarity and soldered the red and black wires from each of my replacement cordless phone batteries in place, then I placed my meter on the 3 pin plug and saw the voltage output was 8 volts. Each of the replacement batteries cost $6.99 and I am happy to say that for $30 I was actually able to repair my battery with new rechargeable cells. It charged up to full and is holding a charge so far. I attached the new cells to the plastic battery holder with double stick tape and reinstalled it in my ipronto. There is a circuit board inside that the cells are soldered to so if you attempt this use a meter to determine correct polarity, I have no idea if this was a good or bad idea, but for $30 and lack of available batteries I figured I would give it a try, hope this helps someone

Hosting Services by ipHouse