Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 6 made on Tuesday May 5, 2009 at 21:14
Ernie Bornn-Gilman
Yes, That Ernie!
December 2001
On May 5, 2009 at 12:08, Other said...
I would not run a 70V speaker level input into a consumer subwoofer and try to use it's crossover. As stated above, it's a huge difference in voltage. You'll be more likely to get smoke coming from the sub than sound.

I disagree. The line input on a sub is like the line input on most other devices, probably around 10K ohms, and that much voltage won't make it smoke. But since you often get great bass with the volume set to only about 9 o'clock, or three on the scale, a higher input voltage means you'll be at full rip at less than one. That makes it real hard to adjust the volume.
...while it may be a great option for what it is intended is in no way, shape, or form designed to run 12+ hours per day every day.

Good point!
If this was a start from scratch system design, I'd be pointing you towards DBX ZonePro rather than the Bogen piece. It will do what the Bogen is doing for you plus give you the extra processing that you may have not known you needed up front, but now do. See, method to the madness. ;)

You just made my point -- use 70 volt gear for 70 volt applications. Use consumer gear in home applications. Plus the EQ on the ZonePro is quite incredible.
A good answer is easier with a clear question giving the make and model of everything.
"The biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place." -- G. “Bernie” Shaw

Hosting Services by ipHouse