The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 1 made on Tuesday April 21, 2009 at 04:32
Daniel Tonks
Wrangler of Remotes
October 1998
I'd like to announce a new feature section on Remote Central: the Consumer Electronics Control Wiki.

Inspired by Vincent's Mega-Notes post suggesting an industry-wide list of technical notes for components, I thought I'd try to come up with a solution to this suggestion that would be versatile and open (so that anyone could add or edit information), but structured enough that it would collect the type of information that's really needed.

I ended up with a sort of "structured wiki" that allows anyone with an RC account to add a new component, or modify existing components.

There's places to enter basic information about the device, indicate how it can be controlled (IR, RF, RS-232, IP, etc.), if the device itself supports control outputs (such as DC triggers, iPod control, HDMI CEC etc.), whether it supports discrete codes, device timings (power on delay, inter-command delay etc.), plus general notes and a place for infrared hex codes.

The idea is if you know something about a device, you put it into the Wiki, and eventually other members will add more information and fill in a complete profile. So, when you or anyone else needs to install or work with one of those devices, you can quickly figure out the best way to control it, learn about any problems or operation quirks, obtain discrete codes, and so forth. Comments can be added to a device for discussion.

Right now, I'd appreciate it if everyone could give it a look and let me know whether there's any information fields that I've missed, what new ones would be useful, or if there's any control methods I may have forgotten about. Suggestions on how to make it better, along with bug reports if you notice something wrong, would also be greatly appreciated.

Right now it should be fully functional; I've populated it with a few devices that I'm familiar with.

Consumer Electronics Control Wiki

Hosting Services by ipHouse