The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 9 made on Thursday April 16, 2009 at 17:04
Daniel Tonks
Wrangler of Remotes
October 1998
On April 16, 2009 at 11:28, kstrange said...
I'm not sure I understand what you mean by routable IP. The Leviton router comes with an address of 192.168.0.1 and I left it at that. Should it be different?

That's the LAN address... it also gets an WAN address (your IP on the Internet).

For example, my SB5100 cable modem - if it is not connected to the internet and doesn't get a routable IP (one usable on the Internet), it will pass a 169.254.xx IP to the router. 169.254 is a special IP range, and intended to show an IP error.

This is outside of the routers pooling range of eg: .2 through .99.

OK, that's fine, I actually misread that line and thought you were putting them INTO the pool range (bad things would of course happen if the router didn't know about them).

In my home if I want something to have a static IP I will generally let it get one via DHCP, and then custom configure it in the router to whatever IP I want (even out of the pool range). The only problem with this is if you change routers, your pseudo-static configuration disappears and everything resets back to automatic (not an issue for me since I don't plan on changing ever).

Hosting Services by ipHouse