Up level
The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 17 made on Thursday March 5, 2009 at 18:07
Evohome
April 2008
I'll throw a little into the mix, and maybe get some thoughts stirring...

I am sure that some of you remember back when VCR+ was the hot new thing. If I remember, that format had a multi-digit code that was in your news paper or TV guide that you used on the better VCR+ capable boxes, where you actually programmed the code (from the paper/ TV Guide) into the VCR.

Is there still something like that active is the first question.
Second, would it be more simple to query that data to build the guide list? I doubt it, as that info is dynamic...

What really needs to happen is for all the broadcasters to set up a true discrete static ID number for each channel, no matter what service (DTV, Dish, cable, etc) is used. That would solve the problem of reassigning channel numbers/ icons/ macros/ etc. every couple months, as DTV and the others keep moving channels around.

From there, if a static ID of some kind were assigned to each availabl program, I think that the query of the Channel, Program crap would be a lot quicker and more simple.

I know that there are some markets that have info like this available now, but I don't think it is a standard.

Wouldn't it be great though...
And buyer beware of a man who chooses to be judged by numbers and salary, with no regard for character or integrity. Peter Gammons, ESPN

Hosting Services by ipHouse