The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 12 made on Thursday February 26, 2009 at 01:49
dave964
Long Time Member
January 2008
On February 25, 2009 at 20:11, nellie7979 said...
I don't think it makes a difference whether what TV service you subscribe to. Generally speaking they all have the same channels, the only difference is what their respective numbers are for your particular subscription service. I'd be more than willing to enter that data manually, since it seems to me the hard part would be getting the metadata to the Pronto.

Maybe a shortcut would be a server program on the PC that goes to a website like tvguide.com, takes a screenshot of your personalized program guide, and then feeds that screenshot to the Pronto/client.

I don't entirely agree.

In fact - the channel numbers are not so much of an issue. The first time my application is used, it downloads the "subscription" page, where you can select which channels (by name) that you want the tv guide to display (i.e. exactly the same thing you do on the real tv guide website).

It then stores these names, and each time you use the app after that, it downloads these channels. The tv guide site stores the channel numbers for each channel - so my app doesn't "know" the numbers for each channel - but it does use the numbers the site provides. The channel names are listed on the left, and when you press the channel button, it will change channel. The tv guide site does not always have the numbers correct for all channels, so manual entry of a channel number is possible when selecting which channels are subscribed to.

In addition, the tv guide site also provides summary info for each program - my app stores that too, and pressing on a program title will show that summary.

Searching for tv progs is also possible - again, it's a function the site itself provides so my app provides the same.

Although you could perhaps just download a screenshot, you'd need several if you wanted to display more than a few channels. My app shows 2 hours worth of programmes for 8 channels per page - and typically I subscribe to enough channels to fill 10 pages. And of course, if you wanted all of the functionality I've mentioned, that wouldn't be possible with screenshots. The app needs to be quite site specific to allow that kind of functionality.
Dave

Hosting Services by ipHouse