The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 11 made on Thursday January 4, 2007 at 13:11
Lyndel McGee
RC Moderator
August 2001
I had a similar issue last week. In the living room, I already had a WAP that connects to the router in the bedroom. The WAP is behind the TV and was successfully connnecting to the bedroom router but sometimes things were a bit slow. My wife put up a set of Scandia Shelving in the bedroom where my router is. Unfortunately, she put them up on the wall between the bedroom and the living room and things went totally amiss. Result - I got weaker WIFI to the TSU9600. I could no longer sit on the couch and connect the TSU9600 to either the router or the WAP. Almost pulled what hair I have left out.

I tried 2 things.

1. A Linksys antenna extender to put the router antenna near the ceiling in the bedroom. (better but still not working reliably)

2. Purchased the $50 7db high gain antenna for the router (Bingo). Then, I connected the antenna extender to the WAP to be able to move the antennas into line of sight so that the TSU9600 could connect reliably.

The end result of #2 was that I can now walk pretty much anywhere in the house and get reliable WIFI to the TSU9600 and also have better link speed (fewer errors) on the DVDM-100 and my Media PC. All in all, although I spent around $80USD to make this work, it was worth it in the time and complaining it saves.
Lyndel McGee
Philips Pronto Addict/Beta Tester

Hosting Services by ipHouse