The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 1 made on Tuesday July 1, 2008 at 11:18
Herb Crane
Long Time Member
May 2005
I am a hobbyist not a professional programmer of Pronto. I have been lurking around the message board getting hints here and there. But realizing that this is a professional level piece of equipment, have restrained from asking hobbyist level questions. I have put together a fully functioning config file. But one thing that has always bugged me about the 9600 is the rotary wheel. I couldn’t leave it alone and just had to make it do something.

I got the Developer’s Guide (and read it) and searched the board for help. What I found is that there is no simple ProntoScript example for making the wheel do something or simple explanation of how to integrate the ProntoScript with the config file. Regardless, after a weekend of work (I could barely call programming) I made the wheel click and do something useful.

So for the benefit of the rest of you hobbyists out there, here are a few ProntoScript examples, a description of how it works, and an explanation of how to use in a config file.

First you need to make sure your firmware is up to date. You need v4.0.17. In the Files section you can download the correct version for your equipment. This version gives the wheel support. Make sure you get the correct one for your remote 9400 or 9600. It took me an hour to figure out I downloaded the wrong one.

Example 1

onRotary = function(clicks)
{
if (clicks == 1)
{CF.widget("rotaryUp","rotarypage").executeActions();}
if (clicks == -1)
{CF.widget("rotaryDown","rotarypage").executeActions();}
if (clicks > 1)
{CF.widget("pageUp","rotarypage").executeActions();}
if (clicks < -1)
{CF.widget("pageDown","rotarypage").executeActions();}
}

This ProntoScript is used for navigating a satellite box menu. One click clockwise uses the up cursor to go up one. One click counter makes the cursor go down one. More than one click clockwise uses the page up. More than one click counter uses the page down.

Here is how I made it work. (May not be the most efficient but works for me)

Under the satellite device I made a page and hid it. The page is for holding the actions of cursor up, cursor down, page up, and page down. The page needs to be tagged by giving it a ProntoScript name. This is done in the page properties advanced tab. This example uses the ProntoScript name rotarypage. Caps count in ProntoScript so be careful.

On this page I put four buttons. Each of the buttons corresponds to one of the actions and is linked to the code page like normal. Each of the buttons also needs a tag or ProntoScript name. This is done in the Button Properties under Actions tab. All the way to the right is the PS button. Click this and give it a name. In this example I use the name rotaryUp for the cursor up. You can figure out the other four.

The ProntoScript names (tags) are critical to the script finding the button.

In the Device Properties for the device to be controlled with wheel is where you put the actual script. This goes under the Advanced page in the Module Script section. So copy and paste and make sure you are consistent with your ProntoScript names.

Each time the rotary wheel moves the amount of clicks is determined and each of the If statements are reviewed for applicability. If a match is made the action that is referenced by the tags is performed.

Example 2

onRotary = function(clicks)
{
if (clicks == 1)
{CF.widget("rotaryPlay","rotarypage").executeActions();}
if (clicks == -1)
{CF.widget("rotaryPause","rotarypage").executeActions();}
if (clicks == 2)
{CF.widget("rotaryForward","rotarypage").executeActions();}
if (clicks == -2)
{CF.widget("rotaryBackward","rotarypage").executeActions();}
if (clicks > 2)
{CF.widget("rotaryChap+","rotarypage").executeActions();}
if (clicks < -2)
{CF.widget("rotaryChap-","rotarypage").executeActions();}
};

This ProntoScript is used to emulate a jog wheel for a DVD player. One click clockwise is play. One click counter is pause. Two clicks clockwise is FF. Two clicks counter is RW. Three clicks clockwise is chapter next. Three clicks counter is chapter previous. Same goes for the page with actions and tags.

Good luck to all.

Hosting Services by ipHouse