Up level
The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 6 made on Sunday December 28, 2008 at 12:33
buzz
May 2003
I have installed 94/9600's in large homes with multiple access points. I set all of the access points to the same SSID and tinker with the channel assignments to avoid overlapping coverage areas on the same channel as much as possible.

Computers travel seamlessly throughout the house. The Pronto's have more limited range and hang on to their access point longer than they should. While there are no dead areas for the computers, the Prontos have dead spots and they are slow at releasing the former access point and picking up a better signal.

Also, the Pronto's are slow at connecting after waking from a sleep. I find that technology shy customers who press buttons slowly have less trouble than the savvy, quick ones. I encourage the quick ones to wait till the connection is completed before issuing commands. If they issue commands too soon, they'll run into "command failed", which causes a delay, but they'll follow up with another command too soon, the follow-on command may not work either, and the frustration level builds. After they learn to pace their button pressing, everything is fine.

With RS-232 based components I use ProntoScript and a command stack. On these units, once the WiFi connection is established, it is not possible for the user to press buttons fast enough to overrun the program. It is an interesting interaction because several seconds might elapse before the device catches up with the command stack. One could use a similar approach for IR based commands, but this requires more effort than I can justify for the rather limited benefits.

Hosting Services by ipHouse