The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 37 made on Wednesday November 1, 2006 at 12:38
AVredefined
Long Time Member
October 2006
If URC was truly concerned about un-qualified consumers programming these remotes, they would put a sticker on the box stating the device WILL NOT WORK WITHOUT PROFESSIONAL PRGRAMMING. Every electronic device you buy that does not come with batteries says so on the box. They would inform consumers in the online descriptions of these remotes. But, as has been said before, this would likely decrease sales. Sales that URC says they don't want, but won't take the necessary steps to remedy.
Of course Live Update isn't that important to you as a CI. YOU HAVE ACCESS TO IT. If one of your clients buys a new device next year and needs the new codes, they can just call you out and pay $125/hr for you to adjust the programming. The consumer who bought this on Ebay, who chose not to call you in the first place, is simply out of luck. Is it that consumer's fault because he bought something on Ebay for A LOT less money? No. It's URC's fault for allowing their product to be sold there in the first place. A "let's punish the consumer until they stop doing it" attitude, in my mind, just doesn't compare to "let's fix our distribution problem." I love URCs remtoes. I wil continue to support them AS a CI. But instead of griping and complaining about Ebay sales along with the rest of the CI industry, I realized it for what it was and utilized it to my advantage.
This is a big step backwards, and it's just shady business practice.
sit tibi copia nostri.

Hosting Services by ipHouse