The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 1 made on Sunday July 8, 2007 at 20:35
kneighbour
Long Time Member
June 2007
I am a computer programmer, so programming the MX-900 is no great chore.

The problem I am having is decidng exactly what to do. This is where the experience of a proper installer would come in handy (and of course the members of this forum!).

My general idea, after reading many posts in this forum, is to setup the main Watch and Listen pages with the main activities.

ie Watch
HDTV
Cable
DVD
Media Player

Listen
CD
FM
AM
Media Player

When I hit HDTV (for example), it
- turns on all required power
- switch TV inputs appropriately
- show extra TV operations on LCD buttons
- program all hard buttons as required
- add Power On/Off to LCD buttons (in case system stuffs up)
- add LCD buttons to jump to other device pages (ie amplifier)
- set Punch Through buttons for volume and power

and repeat for each device.

Is this overall concept a good one? Is there something I could be doing better or a bit smarter?

-------------------------------
I have setup most of the units in the MX-900 at least 3 or 4 times, and each time takes a fair bit of effort.

One problem is that none of my devices are in the IR database. The LG HDTV is close, but not close enough. So I have to 'learn' every sinlge key on every device. Painful. At least the MX-900 editor software is fairly good in this regard.

My initial annoyance is with the button editor. I setup a device with all the pages I think it needs, and add all the buttons I can think off. What happens then is that I find I need to add new buttons to the first page (ie buttons for other devices, for example). I find that I cannot simply move the buttons around - no - I generally have to redo all the pages again. This is where experience would help, of course.

Does anyone know of a good trick to make the button editor more user friendly?

While none of my devices are in the IR database, the editor seems to want to link to some random device. For example, my 'Cable' device thinks it is an Audio device of type AUX1 (or something like that). I can see no way of clearing this erroneous allocation, except by deleting the device. The problem here is that when I add a button (say 'Mode'), the editor automatically sets that button to the nearest command it can find for AUX1 - ie AUX1.Mode. Which of course is totally incorrect.

Can I setup a custom device that is not linked to anything in the IR Database?

Hosting Services by ipHouse