The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 1 made on Thursday September 13, 2007 at 04:44
zytrex
Long Time Member
July 2005
I'm currently using an MX-850 and MRF-250. I've been thinking about getting a MSC-400 for some time. Almost none of my equipment has discreet codes, so the only way to make full automation macros that are sure to work is if I can test for the on/off state of devices. And after reading the review here, I'm sure the MSC-400 would be perfect.

Before reading about the MSC-400, however, I was considering the MX-950. At least it has variables, so as long as no one screws with the devices and I set up all the emitters well, I could be reasonably sure that the macros would all work right. Then, when I saw the pictures of the MX-980, well, the geek in me said that I am forbidden from buying a new remote that doesn't have a color screen.

Which bring me to this thread. It occured to me that if I'm using the MSC-400 to do all the heavy lifting, then I don't really have to have that hefty of a remote. Instead of the MX-980, I could just use the MX-810. I know the programming for the MX-810 is pretty different (supposedly more for the do-it-yourself crowd) than the higher level remotes, but all I would really need to do with it is stick in the commands to send to the MSC-400. The MSC-400 is where all the complicate programming would take place. Doing it this way would save me around $300. But then again, after this upgrade, it will be a very long time until I make any changes again. So it might be worth it to spend the extra $300. What do you all think?

Also, even though the MX-810 has the wizard software, does that mean you have to use it, or can you still use the standard programming software? How much can you manipulate the menu design, or is that all automatic? If so, that might be a deal breaker right there.

Although it might be a tad rude to ask in this section of the forums, but does anyone know of practical alternatives to the MSC-400? In all honesty, the only reason I'd go with the MSC-400 and a remote instead of the MX-980 by itself is for the added certainty that comes with the power sensors. But if there is a cheaper way to do it, please let me know.

Sorry for all the questions. I really appreciate anybody who takes the time to read and respond. :)

Last edited by zytrex on September 13, 2007 05:30.

Hosting Services by ipHouse