The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 10 made on Sunday September 16, 2007 at 13:37
Ernie Bornn-Gilman
Yes, That Ernie!
December 2001
On September 14, 2007 at 18:26, SoundOfMind said...
Sometimes LEDs are driven by a constant current driver
and adding a series resistance would only make the driver
put out more voltage to compensate for the resistance.

That's possble for displays, but have you ever seen a remote control product where the money is spent to add the parts needed for constant current? What I've seen have always been products where resistors can be added to lower the current.

Incidentally, a Xantech's high output current is the bus with a 100 ohm resistor in series with it. The low output current is the bus with 470 ohms in series with it. And all this stuff is pretty similar in output voltages, so these resistance ranges are representative.

If I wanted to pin down LED current to a sat receiver with that problem, I'd get a 1000 ohm pot and wire it in series. Once I had the pot at a value that worked flawlessly, I'd measure the pot and replace it with a resistor of the closest value. A pot might not work for too long at these currents, but be designed for less.
A good answer is easier with a clear question giving the make and model of everything.
"The biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place." -- G. “Bernie” Shaw

Hosting Services by ipHouse