Up level
The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 25 made on Monday October 13, 2008 at 21:10
PeterN
July 2008
I've been eagerly waiting for the chance to install these and finally got to put in 3 switches earlier today. After I figured out that the switches need the Neutral wire attached in order to work (line 3 in the fine print--which I should have known, as many Lutron devices are the same way), and after a quick peek at this thread and call to URC tech support to figure out how to program them, I was ready to be wowed.

Instead, big disappointment. I could barely get out of arm's length before the RF range started dropping off. At five feet and under, response was 100%. Beyond that, one switch or the other would fail to respond to the On/Off commands. Sometimes a double- or triple- or quad-tap corrected the problem; sometimes not. There wasn't a single bad switch, either; moving around the room changed which switch, or switches, would respond.

For the record, the room has 3 switches in a 4 gang box with another single-pole switch. All of the lights are incandescent. The box is plastic; there's a double layer of drywall over all walls, and then way too much faux finish on top of that. There's a MRF-350 basestation, RFX-250 antenna, and all the AV gear 20 feet away at the front of the room in a recessed rack. That part of the system works like a champ; I haven't seen ANY sign of RF interference.

I know these are intended to be a small-scale, limited range solution for wireless lighting control--but 5 feet? What are you guys getting range-wise?

Hosting Services by ipHouse