Pass:

Original thread:
Post 2 made on Tuesday September 30, 2008 at 21:21
Darnitol
Universal Remote Control Inc.
June 1999
Ernie:

What "it" are you referring to?

URC Lighting by Lutron is our partnership with Lutron. Our line of dimmers, switches, and lamp modules are designed for single-room installations. They're cost effective for these kinds of installs because the dimmers are controlled directly via RF from the remote. Since it's a single room installation, no controller box is required. That brings the barrier to entry for professional lighting down to the cost of a single dimmer. And pretty much anything you'd think to do with lighting scenes, you can do with our system. Each dimmer can learn multiple addresses, and each address has On, Off, Bright, Dim, and 8 scenes.

All Complete Control remotes can control URC Lighting by Lutron. The newer models are a tad easier to program, but our engineers figured out a way to make even older Complete Control models work with the protocol.

The lighting is manufactured by Lutron, but you purchase it through your normal URC distributor or rep. As a single room system, it's not compatible with RadioRA or other whole-house systems. Our intent was to build a lighting system for installers whose clients aren't ready for whole-house, but who would love to control their theater lighting.

As an added bonus, we designed the lighting to eliminate truck rolls for simple scene reprogramming. All your client has to do is set the lights in the room to the desired levels then press and hold the scene button on the remote to reprogram a scene.

We're excited, obviously. Lutron is excited. It was a huge hit at CEDIA. We think it will open up huge opportunities for installers to add lighting to jobs that previously were out of the question due to the hight cost of that first dimmer (one dimmer plus a very expensive controller). Now all you have to sell to get your client excited about lighting is a single dimmer module. Once someone can control the lights with the remote, it becomes like controlling the TV... they wonder how they ever put up with walking up to the switch to turn on or off a light.

Anyway... if you have any more questions, hit me up. I'm excited! And hey, we're shipping the product now!

Best regards,
Dale
I'm a member of the Remote Central community, just like you! My comments here are my own, and in no way express the opinions, policies, or plans of Universal Remote Control, Inc.

Hosting Services by ipHouse