The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 2 made on Wednesday August 23, 2006 at 21:32
yromj
Long Time Member
May 2006
Most any remote capable of "macros" (multiple step, mini-programs) can accomplish what you're asking for. However, I think what you're wanting to do can be made even easier if you get a remote which will support discrete codes for your particular device.

It sounds like the first sequence you're talking about is the sequence to select an input on the TV. Even if your TV doesn't have buttons for the specific inputs, that doesn't mean the codes don't exist. For example, my JVC HDTV does not have discrete codes for the inputs on its own remote, but my URC MX-900 does have the discrete codes for the inputs.

This makes programming much more reliable. The reason is that if you program four presses of the right arrow key, because that's the "norm", at some point or another three presses will be correct not four. In that case the correct input will not be selected. However, if you have the discrete code for the input, the device will go to that input regardless of its previous state.

For example, all of my devices use "Video 2" on my TV (my receiver does all my video upconversion/switching which also makes things easier, BTW), but every once in a while the TV would get bumped off of "Video 2" (usually to the tuner) which baffled my wife. I now have a "Fix TV" button that simply returns the TV to "Video 2". Also, all of my macros tell the TV to go to "Video 2". This has been a lifesaver for me.

I hope some of this makes some sense and gives you a little insight into making your life easier. As for a specific remote, the URCs are fantastic, but not cheap. The Harmony remotes probably are the best bang for the buck, IMHO.

John
As my circle of knowledge grows, so grows the circumference of the unknown.

Hosting Services by ipHouse