Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 1 made on Wednesday September 13, 2006 at 10:45
JerryR
Founding Member
August 2001
Hello Good People at RC,

My question is which remote to seriously consider but I wish to give a brief summary of my needs. I have a Yamaha RAV-2000 touchscreen remote that came with my Yamaha RX-Z1. I LOVE my Z1, I HATE the remote. Ok, actually, I hate the programming of the remote. I have finally (after all these years) given up on trying to get the thing programmed and have also decided that since it is ancient technology in the world of CE, I should just forget it and move on. Besides, nothing should be this tough to program. I have a fairly basic setup: the aforementioned RX-Z1, an older Sony RPTV, a couple of Sony VCR's (a SuperBeta and an SVHS), a Yamaha Laser Disc player, a Denon DVD player, a Belkin Pure AV PF60 Power Conditioner and basic cable - no converter or set top box with the cable - just straight into the TV. Didn't even bother running it through the RX-Z1. I watch very little TV so am more concerned with DVD's and my old laser disc collection. I'd like a remote that is:
1. Fairly simple to program via a Website; 2. Works as it should; 3. Will correctly perform macros or activity based commands; 4. Is around the $300 or less price point; 5. Has a fairly easy to read LCD or touch screen. It does not need to have RF ability. It does not need to perform EVERY single function on EVERY single device. All I really want is to be able to press one button (or touchscreen) and have the remote power up all appropriate devices, set the TV to the proper video input and the Z1 to the proper audio output and, if possible, have the DVD or LD tray open and be ready for me to insert a disc. punch through volume control of the Z1 would be nice too. As for any "special" functions, I don't mind using the device's own remote. Here's what I am considering:
1. The Harmon Kardon TC-30; 2. The Logitech Harmony 880; 3. The SunWave SRC-3810. Leaning more strongly towards 1 or 2.
Can anyone offer some sound advice to me? I'm not looking for anything fancy but I am looking to be able to use just one remote to bring my system to a stage of readiness. I've read all the reviews (professional and user) that I can find on the above remotes. There's good and bad written about all of them which makes a decision like this somewhat difficult. I don't mind spending an hour or two programming a remote via a web site nor would I mind having to do some minimal tweaking afterward. I'd appreciate any advice or experience anyone can offer. Thanks.

Hosting Services by ipHouse