The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 9 made on Tuesday October 18, 2005 at 02:23
Ry-dog
Long Time Member
July 2005
I know it's always hard to get use to (and trust) a new product because I think we've all been there before.

In case anyone is interested, here is the website that the trainer gave us for watching the online training modules for the NevoSL:

http://nevouniversity.webex.com/

I've watched a few of them and even though they aren't as good as getting a live training session, it's not bad and worth a look.

Also, one thing that the trainer told us about the NevoLink, is that once the NevoLink receives an IR command and blasts it out, it actually sends a confirmation back the remote and that if the remote doesn't get the reply, it'll send it out again until the NevoLink receives it. Sure, it's not RS-232, but I think it's a step above the one directional RF used today (although I haven't personally tried the new Pronto RF system, but I wasn't too happy with the old one).

There's definitely a balance here:

PRONTO RF: cheaper (no access point), slightly easier to implement (NevoLinks are pretty easy to install once you get the hang of it)
NEVOLINK: more reliable (at least it seems to be in my testing thus far) and you don't have to worry about were it's located since the NevoSL communicates through the access point, not each individual NevoLink wirelessly, so it doesn't matter how far the NevoLinks are at all.

Anyhow, that's just my opinion and I have been having pretty good success with the unit so far.

BTW, for the NevoSL media stuff, it doesn't have to be a MCE PC, it just has to be at least a Windows XP machine. Although I heard someone say that NevoSL will be able to control an Esient Fireball system very soon (browsing the content from the remote, etc.), but I'm not 100% sure. That's something that would be very cool though.

Hosting Services by ipHouse