The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 13 made on Wednesday October 18, 2006 at 03:27
phil
Founding Member
December 2001
On October 17, 2006 at 16:01, Carl Spackler said...
Thats exactly what my beef with Springs. There are a lot
of guys out there who have taken it on as their go to
remote. And bad mouthing the company after one experience
that happened over a year ago isn't fair to these guys,
or their customers.

I agree, Springs is like the guy without a life who stands around in front of a store wearing a sandwich board that says "This place sucks".

However, while he seems to base his hatred of Nevo on one instance that happened to him long ago and he takes childish pleasure in every post that has a new problem with the remote, the problems that Nevo has with this product are many, and for some there are still no answers. The fact that Springs has no personal experience of the issues with the product and cheers as each new problem shows up does not make the Nevo a bulletproof, ready for prime time product.

Some of you are selling this as a replacement for the Pronto, just a touchscreen remote, and not using the troublesome wifi and music server features. If you bought a car and were told " Don't use the nav system or the entire car will shut down" would you feel it was ready for prime time?

I have had a Nevo since April and have been evaluating it. As others have said I'm intrigued by the idea behind it but the implementation leaves something to be desired.

Specifically, my issues with this product are,

1. When playing music titles from my computer, if I let Nevo Player finish the last track of a CD or playlist, Nevo Player locks up. Then I have to go to my computer and use taskmanager to end the Nevo Player(the player icon in the toolbar will not respond) and then restart Nevo Player from the start menu. I can't imagine explaining this proceedure to an enduser, for me it's only a hassle. UEI has not come up with any answers for this yet.

2. Earlier this week I was going to take it to a customer's house to demo. I found that it had not seated properly into the charger and now was dead. The charger connection is kinda funky and I have to wiggle the Nevo sometimes to make a good connection. This would be a small inconvienience for most products but for the Nevo it is a major problem if the battery is run down completely. I was finally able to reset it but if a client experienced this it would have taken a service call to restore. I also note several posts from people that have had this problem and have a heck of a time getting the unit to operate again.

3. If the Nevo strays outside of the routers coverage area it will not reconnect to the network by itself. It usually needs to be reset to restore operation. I can tell customers never to take the unit out of their house but if their router goes down with a power outage I will be making another service call.

4. For the first 4-5 minutes after the LCD backlight turns on it flickers. Power supply capacitors I think. Badly at first but goes away after warmup. As I have the LCD set to stay on for only 1 minute it pretty much always happens. UEI says this is normal. For an $800 remote???

I have yet to experience the dreaded stuck buttom phenomena but if any other manufacturers remote occasionally ran the volume up to max I would be unable to sell that product. Think about it. If HK receivers sometimes ramped up the volume to full, even if was only every 6 months, no one would buy them and any dealer that sold them would end up with stacks of returns. The posts about this problem say it happens several times a week.

All in all I cannot sell this piece at this time. I will continue to play with the one I have and check for upgrades to fix these problems, but for now, no way.

I'm only out the cost of 1 unit and have hope that someday I can start to sell these. I am not angry about it. I love the idea behind it, and when it works, it is wonderful.

Marc Silver is the guy who should be ranting and foaming at the mouth, not Springs, who I don't believe has ever purchased one.
"Regarding surround sound, I know musicians too well to want them behind my back."
-Walter Becker

Hosting Services by ipHouse