The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 4 made on Tuesday June 3, 2008 at 20:40
Ry-dog
Long Time Member
July 2005
Since the Duet is a dedicated media solution, it's going to have the more robust interface, so yeah, it's got some nice touches that the NevoSL's media interface does not.

The NevoMedia Manager software does not have internet radio capability, but I do believe the TwonkyMedia server software does and can serve it out to the Roku Soundbridge (once again, I haven't tried this in a while, so I'm not sure if it still functions that way).

You are still right in that if you use NevoMedia Manager software, you will need a computer, regardless if you use a Roku Soundbridge with it because the music has to come from somewhere. Just like the Duet, if you want to listen to your own MP3s, you have to have some computer serving that stuff to the Duet as well. The only scenario where a Duet can be without a computer is when using internet radio.

Remember, the Roku and the Duet/SqueezeBox are just media players, they are not media servers. The NevoMedia Manager software is both; it has a player side (NevoMedia Player) and a server side (NevoMedia Server), but obviously it needs to be on a PC.

The one advantage of the NevoSL is that it'll control your home theater stuff and the digital media. The downside is that the Duet has more playback options. I only quickly played with a Duet, but I believe you can do cool things like make on-the-go playlists and stuff like that (which you can't do on the NevoSL).

I guess it comes down to what you want; do you want a one remote solution, or do you want all the bells and whistles but are willing to pick up another remote? Decisions, decisions...

Hosting Services by ipHouse