Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 1 made on Friday August 26, 2005 at 17:18
amsbestbuy
Lurking Member
January 2005
Hello,

I have been in contact with Philips tech support and so far they can't seem to tell me very much about their own remote control, the RC9800i. (This is frustrating to say the least).

I am aware that you can stream music files via the Philips Media Manager software that resides on my desktop computer back through the remote and a wifi connection. Then, using a Media Adapter (which in this case is just an audio cable connected from the remote's charging cradle to an audio system), the remote can then be placed in the cradle to play the files on a stereo system. This method is ridiculous to say the least as it essentially turns a wireless remote control into a wired remote. Not to mention that if you wanted to take the remote out of the cradle to find and launch another song, then placed the unit back in the cradle it would create a 'spike' to my speakers causing possible damage depending on the stereo's volume setting.

Before I purchased this unit, I was told (by the experts at Philips no less) that I would be able to use the remote to launch the music files wirelessly in the Philips Media Manager software on my computer. Then, with a wired connection from my computer's sound card to my stereo system, I could then control the music wirelesly that I listen to while sitting in my chair. In this case, I would be using the 9800i as a wireless remote to launch the music files in Philips Media Manager.

(Actually, prior to purchase, I was told that I would be able to browse the music files on my computer using the RC9800i, then launch them in the default media player of my computer which in this case is the Yahoo Music player; the service that I currently subscribe to. After using the remote for a few minutes, I could tell that this information was not accurate. It amazes me that companies such as Philips don't do a bit more training with their support staff before turning them loose on the public).

Does anyone know if this remote is capable of actually launching files on my desktop computer within the Philips Media Manager player as opposed to launching them on the remote?

Thank you in advance for your help!

This message was edited by amsbestbuy on 08/26/05 17:57 ET.
ambestbuy

Hosting Services by ipHouse