Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 8 made on Sunday November 27, 2005 at 17:16
Davidsed
Long Time Member
November 2005
Hey Luukske,

A new RC9800i owner here. Let me first say I'm a really big fan of the product. I like its size / sleekness and cool factor. I considerred Sonos but thought the RC9800i had allot more potential. I also felt that because it is Linux based and "UpnP" compliant that it was essentially future proof. But I guess that also requires timely firmware updates that keep the product in step with industry. I'm hopefull Philips will be vigilant here.

That's why I'm a little concerned about your response here. Essentially I think it defies common sense to state that one of your media adaptors (SLA5500) is UpnP compliant and yet not compatible with the RC9800i which Philips also says is UpnP compliant. When I ask my RC9800i to find media adaptors I assume it is using the correct discovery UpnP prototcol to do this and if it finds no devices when a UpnP device is on the network then that can only mean one of two things: Either the media adaptor is not UpnP compliant or the RC9800i is not UpnP compliant.

I'm not trying to slam you here because I'm sure whatever UpnP compliance issues exist for the RC9800i could be addressed by a firmware upgrade. I kinda feel it would be in Philips best interest to strive for high compatibility with all media adaptors and absolutely with any that are UpNp compliant.

I don't think I'm asking for anything that Philips has not already said the RC9800i does. Your co-worker "RC9800i Team" said in an earlier thread on this forum :

"Secondly if you have an UPnP compliant media adapter connected to your TV or Audio system you can browse your PC content on the remote and then send it to the adapter via WiFi and UPnP."

Can you give us some indication of whether future firmware updates will achieve higher compatibility with non Philips UpnP media adaptors ? I plan to buy several...probably 5 music adaptors shortly for various rooms in my house. I live in Canada and none of your media adaptors are sold here. Only Roku adaptors are available at retail but I've not bought one because I think they are too expensive. Ironically I tried to buy a SLA5500 from the Philips US online store (its on sale for $89.99) but they will not ship to Canada. I guess now I should be thankfull they wouldn't.

Sorry if this sounds negative. I actually very enthusiastic about my recent purchase of the RC9800i. I feel that with a few minor updates (browser interface) it could really be the killer centerpiece entainment appliance for me (my wife loves it)

Cheers,
David

Hosting Services by ipHouse