The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 4 made on Tuesday February 14, 2006 at 23:54
fors8kin
Lurking Member
February 2006
I just sent a letter to Philips. I hate this unit (RC9800i). I have the same AV set up as you, including a Microsoft HTPC config. Yes, it does support the basic premise of having a HTPC in your system, but, as the previous poster correctly stated, trying to define small customizations is idiotic. I'm in my HT right now, and I have 2 other remotes sitting right next to me to take up the slack. I have had a RC2000 since about 1996 and as I said to Philips, this unit is barely a step up (other than looking good). The Wifi is stupid! Why would I want to view or listen to A/V files on this little toy, when I have a monstrous system in front of me (the sound quality is worse than my phone too). In my opinion, it was a waste of the technology at hand. Also, I was very disappointed that the software (PMM) had no customizations or Macro set-up functions that could be transfered (Wirelessly?) back the RC9800i. If I knew it was just a Media-server, I would have passed on the whole thing. Currently I have 3 other units in my system that come with their own proprietary Media Servers, 2 of which are superior (Microsoft and D-Link). Philips could have done better if they stuck to what they know, which is building some fine remotes, instead of trying to jump into a game in which they are already probably 3 years behind. I would have loved to see their newfound software programming savvy gone into building better customizable remote and Macro functions rather than trying to track down the IPod.
CLH 5.1 61 DLP rulez!!!

Hosting Services by ipHouse