The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 1 made on Saturday September 23, 2006 at 12:05
badge671
Lurking Member
September 2006
For anyone who had trouble getting your RC9800i to control your dimming lights, it is possible..

1. Just go to Home Depot/Lowe's and get a dimmer with a remote control (I believe it's Lutron)

2. You must assign it to a component on your RC9800 (like, VCR, DVD player, etc.. just pick any type and brand, doesn't really matter)

3. Manually learn the remote that came with your dimmer switch, just like learning your TV remote.

4. Just remember, if you want to dim your lights automatically when watching movies ("Watch DVD" activity), you must do everything BACKWARDS when learning the remote for your dimmer.

In other words, when setting up Activity for "Watch DVD", you typically select "Power On" for each of the necessary components.. TV, DVD player, A/V Receiver, etc. But, since you want the lights to do the opposite (turn OFF, when everything else is powering on), make sure to press the "Power Off"/"Dim" button on your dimmer remote when your RC9800 is learning the "power on" function for whatever device you assigned the lights to.. make sense? And, do the same for when you turn off "Watch DVD".. all the devices will turn off, but for your lights to come back on, do the opposite on your initial setup.. press the "power ON/Increase light" button on your dimmer remote, for the "power off" button on the RC9800. This will ensure you're lights are receiving the proper commands for movie watching.

Hope that's of help to some people.

Hosting Services by ipHouse