The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 3 made on Wednesday January 3, 2007 at 01:59
dcurrie
Lurking Member
January 2005
I have installed many Harmonys and a few of these. The harmonys are great remotes, but there are hardware quality issues that can be frustrating. If you are lucky enough to get a good one on the first try, it is a very nice remote.

You can program it from a web site, and that's great if you have a fast connection. If not, it can be pretty SLOW. Even with its deficiencies it is probably the best consumer grade activity based remote on the market, and comes in an RF version (890) as well. It is much more customizable and flexible than the Phllips RC9800i and can be tuned to accurately control most any device via IR. Harmony has a huge database of IR codes, but occasionally you find bad ones and have to relearn them. Given its huge installed base, vitually every device on the planet is recognized to one degree or another, greatly saving on learning time.

Be that as it may, you still have to understand how to solve problems. The good news is that the facility to solve problems is there. Which is more than can be said for the RC9800i.

Harmony's do lack a wifi connection and therfore the ability to control UPnP devices and offer an on screen program guide. If you don't have either of these requirements, then the 880 or 890 is probably going to be a better choice.

Good luck with it.

Hosting Services by ipHouse